Frank Lloyd Wright's SC Johnson Research Tower by Mark Hertzberg
Racine's SC Johnson Research Tower is one of modern architecture's most significant landmarks. Finished in 1950, the fifteen-story skyscraper is the only existing example of Wright's ambitious taproot design. Alternating square floors and round mezzanines branch out from the weight-bearing central core—like limbs from a tree trunk.
H. F. Johnson Jr., former President of the SC Johnson & Son Company, commissioned Wright (1867–1959) in 1943 to create a new laboratory space that would be as innovative as the research and development team working inside it. The architect envisioning a vertical complement to the firm's streamlined Administration Building. The result was a new kind of skyscraper, one with double-height spaces, windows made of Pyrex glass tubing, and stripes of Wright's signature Cherokee red brick, all balanced on a small pedestal base—the Tower's sinewy core.
Written by Racine’s Mark Hertzberg, Frank Lloyd Wright's SC Johnson Research Tower investigates the rise and fall of this remarkable building. Bruce Brooks Pfeiffer, Director of the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation Archives, provides an insightful foreword.
7 2/10 x 7 3/10 x 6/10 inches
RAM MEMBER PRICE: $18